Friday, March 30, 2007

Literature Circles - Discussion Directions

Today we are in our literature circles. You will be discussing your books during this class period. I will be traveling from group to group listening in and commenting when appropriate. Your literature circles will be graded for today. I will look around throughout the class period and evaluate your level of attention to your task, as well as the quality of your conversation when I visit. I want this to be easy for the both of us. I'd like to give every group above a 90, but you guys have to make sure you're talking about what you should be talking about throughout the period.

For today, I would like the following format followed:
  1. The summarizer will present information
  2. Then, kind of go around the group and share what you've gathered
  3. Let your conversation flow from the things you're seeing. This is where the discussion director's job is to help keep the conversation going, offering new questions for discussion, and making sure the group is on task
During the last 8 minutes of class, I'll ask a member of each group to share one or two interesting things from their group discussions.

If your conversation reaches a natural conclusion, then start to discuss a possible issue for a PSA and figure out how you'd create the PSA.