Friday, March 9, 2007

AP Lit: Close Reading Activity

Today we will be analyzing the speech given by the narrator which preceeded the riot at the tenement building. Your task is to explain the different techniques the narrator used in order to stir the crowd to action.

In groups, reread the passage. While rereading, focus on the language the author uses. Try to find figurative language, details, imagery, and other literary techniques the narrator uses. Jot these down on a sheet of paper.

Then, discuss amongst your group members possible explanations for these techniques. Finally, each group is required to post their findings in the comments section of this post. See me for help.

The speech starts on page 275 ("No, no," I heard myself yelling.") and continues to 280 (There was a rush against me and I fell.)