Thursday, May 3, 2007

Starting Your Body Section

Here are the first paragraphs from the body sections of four iSearch papers:

What does it take to be a CPA?

When I first started this paper, I wanted to find out more about the different types of certified accountants: the CPA's, CMA's and CIA's. I wanted to do a comparative study of the three. I started looking at the Internet. I tried the keyword "Accounting " and there were about five million hits. I tried "Certified Public Accounting" and it was less. There weren't as many hits on the other two. I decided to concentrate on the subject of Certified Public Accountants because it seemed trivial to me why there was so much information under this. Besides, a comparative study wouldn't do me much good. I've learned in the few chapters of my textbook the differences in these three types of accountants. I know them already, so it's not beneficial to me.

Feng Shui and the Workplace


I began my research by searching the Internet and conducting several preliminary interviews. My first preliminary research was done through the Internet. I spent over an hour searching for articles about Feng Shui. The first article I found was on the d escription of Feng Shui, and the other two articles were on the do's and the don't according to Feng Shui.

Is Alcoholism a Disease?


I began my research by reading excerpts from two books. One of them claims physical factors solely are responsible for alcoholism. In it, Ketcham and Milim (1981) state that alcoholics metabolize alcohol at a much slower rate, thus experiencing its eff ects for longer periods of time. They claim that alcoholics have an innate preferences for liquor which is heightened by genetic and prenatal influences. They maintain that biologically related ethnic differences also account for increased susceptibilit y. In the other excerpt, Peele (1989) refutes this claim, stating that biological dysfunctions are merely an opportunity for drinkers to deny responsibility for their drinking. Talk about two dichotomous positions! I was more informed, but just as conf used as I had been before I read these excerpts.

The Marijuana Contraversy


In the library, I found a book called Drugs and American Society and it contains a lot of information about Marijuana, but the information was out of date. From other sources, I learned that early onset cannabis users were at increased risks of later sub stance use behaviors: dropout , anxiety, depression, and suicidal ideation ( Fergusson, Lynskey, & Horwood, 1996). Most of the elevated risks of early onset users were explained by the fact that they were a high risk group of adolescents characterized by having disfunctional families and establishing relationship with delinquent peers.

An iSearch paper about iSearch Papers

The Search: On the day I decided to investigate the "I-Search" paper, I immediately checked the card catalog for Macrorie's books. According to Chapter 8 of Searching Writing, Macrorie states, "The worst place you can begin your search is at the card catalog in the library. Go to people." ( I think he will forgive me.) He reveals that his wife inspired him to develop the "I-Search" approach. He was so impressed with his wife's exuberance while researching Mexico that he desired to see that same excitement in his students' research. Macrorie established the following characteristics for the I-Search.

Here's a great iSearch paper, but it is a .pdf document and can't be copied/pasted.
It's about rock climbing. The rest of the iSearch papers can be found here.