Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Mike O. - Here's Your Independent Poetry Project

Sir, you are to create a blog and maintain it during class time.

Here are the guidelines:
  • Create one post per poem
  • In each post have the following:
    • copy and paste the text from the poem (you can find it online)
    • A link to the poet's Wikipedia page and Poets.org page
    • Your response to the poem - In your response I want you to identify the speaker and situation. Then, I want to see a short response to each poem. In each response you are to explain what meaning you found in the poem, as well as how you arrived at that meaning.
Due Dates: I would like you to follow the presention shedule, for the most part. Most likely, you will be 3-4 days behind. This project will take care of the poetry journal aspect, as well as the annotations, as well as justification for class time.

To substitute for the presentation, you have a choice. You can write a 2-3 page paper explicating one of the poems, OR you may write a paragraph for each poem analyzing how the author used one device to create meaning (tone or theme).

Lastly, you need to invite me as an administrator, so I can provide you with some resources. Also, I will be regularly checking on your work and commenting.

I think this be a great idea, and a wonderful opportunity to create a pretty neat resource.